Monday, November 25, 2013

Castles Made Of Sand

So, I've been meaning to post this for the last couple weeks and I'm finally getting around to doing it.  I have said it before, and I will say it again, Emerson has this great ability to tell stories.  We ride down the road and "use our imagination", telling stories that we make up along the way.  This has always been something she loves to do...and she's good at it.  She also loves music.  Who would have thought that she would share her "story making" abilities and her love for music with her teachers.  ;)

As I'm picking Emerson up from school one afternoon, her teacher says to me, "How is your husband?"  I was a little confused by the question and told her he was fine.  I asked her why she was asking.  She then proceeded to tell me that Emerson told her that he had been bitten by a copperhead snake and had to have surgery on his arm.  Oops.  Maybe not such a good story this time.  I asked Eme about it after we got into the car and she simply replied, "Mommy, I was just telling a story."  Needless to say, we had to review the rules of story time.

A few weeks later, at a field trip I was on with Emerson, her teacher told me about a recent "experience" she had with Eme.  The story goes a little something like this....
Emerson was sitting off to the side by herself in class.  Her teacher asked her if everything was okay and she said no.  She said that her daddy's friend died.  Her teacher was of course saddened by the news.  She offered to talk with Eme about it and pray with her.  Eme went on to say that her daddy's friend died in his sleep because he did too many drugs and drank too much "beard".  (At this point, as her teacher is telling me the story I knew exactly where she was going with it...and I knew that I was going to hold her father completely accountable!!)  Her teacher was a bit taken back by the information, as we all would be, I'm sure.  She simply asked Emerson again if she would like to pray about it.  Emerson then went on to tell her that her daddy's friend was the greatest guitar player to ever live.  She finished her story by telling her teacher that her "daddy's friend" was Jimi Hendrix.  :)  Her teacher couldn't contain herself as she was telling me the story.  Oh boy, was Casey in trouble!  I then felt the need to explain. 

Casey doesn't sing the typical songs at bedtime.  He sings songs like Sweet Baby James, Stairway To Heaven, and Ramblin Man.  The kids also like to watch YouTube videos with people like Eric Clapton, Jimi Hendrix, and Sammy Hagar.  Casey "educates" the kids on great classic rock and Jimi Hendrix is definitely one of his favorites.  Emerson is a girl who loves music.  She goes to sleep at night with music blaring in her room.  She listens to Pandora on my phone.  She knows the words to many songs that she has only heard once or twice.  I had to explain to Casey, from now on, more about the music and less about the musician.  ;)  Love that girl. 

No comments:

Post a Comment