Thursday, April 16, 2009

Two Month Well Check-Up

Yesterday was Emerson's two month well check-up. Wow, how time flies. She is nine weeks old already! This appointment was the one Mommy was dreading. She had to have one vaccine by mouth and three shots!! I wouldn't even wish that on an adult. At this appointment, we wanted to discuss several things with the doctor. I prepared by making a LIST! It seemed to be a very long list filled with questions regarding Eme's colic-like behavior, her forceful spit up, possible milk intolerance, and breastfeeding concerns. Tons of questions! You would think that being a nurse in a nicu....I wouldn't have so many questions. It's so different with your own child, and one that is considered HEALTHY. Anyway, we left the doctors appointment with many unanswered questions. The doctor didn't really have definite answers for us, just possibilies and suggestions. I have now altered my diet to avoid dairy products. I did some research and concluded that Eme may be experiencing an intolerance to the dairy that I consume. This is a very difficult thing to do, just in case you were wondering! I plan to continue avoiding dairy for the next few weeks to see if this has any affect on Eme's behavior. We have also been adding rice cereal to the breastmilk that we occassionally give her in a bottle. This was in hopes that she would be able to keep it down better and not spit up as much. So far, it seems to be working. We have also decided to stop giving her the prescribed Prilosec for her reflux. We honestly couldn't see any difference in her behavior and discomfort, therefore we didn't think it was necessary to continue giving it to her. Emerson weighed in at a whopping 10 pounds 15.5 ounces. She measured 23 inches long. She is in the 50% for weight and 70% for height and head circumference. She's a healthy girl and we are so thankful!!

No comments:

Post a Comment